Sunday, August 10, 2008

Zhang Yimou and the Opening Ceremonies of the 2008 Beijing Olympics

Surely you caught even a little bit of the Olympics Opening Ceremonies last Friday? What a magnificent showcase of culture and arts! The concept of the scroll was fabulous. I loved loved that sequence where dancers brought an ink and wash painting to life with their bodies. And I loved the drummers, and the oarsmen, and the Han dynasty performers, and the movable-type blocks, and the globe with people running and dancing around it (so fascinating I didn't mind Sarah Brightman's airy delivery of the cheesy theme song). Wow! So much detail I didn't know where to look. And we didn't even get to see everything (too many commercials, gah!). Below is a short clip about Zhang Yimou and the preparations for the opening and closing ceremonies (OMG can you imagine how so much more spectacular the closing ceremonies will be!). Yimou is the same director who brought us the fabulous films Not One Less, The Road Home, Hero, and House of Flying Daggers.



I didn't get to see it through to the end though, so I didn't see the lighting of the cauldron. Which is why I'm searching for a file to download right after this (hello torrents!).

No comments: